Shelbys Lead Superb Roster of Entries for RM Auctions’ Arizona Sale
– RM Auctions kicks off 2013 collector car season in Phoenix, Arizona, January 18
– Well-established Biltmore sale features a handpicked selection of the world’s finest motor cars led by an exceptional series of Shelbys and Ferraris
– Offering spans the spectrum of the collector car market from sports and racing to American muscle and elegant coachbuilt automobiles
– Sale kicks off RM’s 2013 global auction calendar, which includes the highly anticipated presentation of the Bruce Weiner Collection in Madison, Georgia and returns to Amelia Island, Florida, and Cernobbio, Italy
RM Auctions, the world’s largest collector car auction house for investment-quality automobiles, has announced an exceptional series of early entries for its highly anticipated Arizona sale, January 18 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa in Phoenix. Celebrating its 14th year in 2013, the well-established RM sale will lift the gavel on a handpicked selection of some 80 blue-chip collector cars as the company continues its mission to unite the world’s finest automobiles with its most discerning collectors.
“Two thousand and twelve has been another terrific year for the collector car hobby, with the market continuing to show resilience to fluctuating financial markets. Solid results have been recorded across the board, with rare and exceptional automobiles continuing to attract great prices at auction, in turn providing a very positive forecast for the New Year,” says Shelby Myers, Managing Director, RM Auctions – California. “We are excited to return to Biltmore in January as we kick off the 2013 auction season. With an emphasis on ‘best of category’ examples and strong early interest received from clients around the world, it is set to be a must-attend event.”
Headlining early entries for the RM sale is a fantastic trio of Shelbys, led by a genuine, fully documented 1967 Shelby 427 ‘Semi-Competition’ Cobra, CSX 3045. One of just 29 S/C Cobras built, CSX 3045 boasts an exceptional provenance from new, including an extensive vintage racing career, and was formerly part of the famous John Mozart Collection, where it was subjected to a full, professional restoration. A short video of the CSX 3045 is available online at http://youtu.be/dILlnSJGBQA (est. $1,400,000-$1,700,000).
“The 427 S/C Cobra was marketed when new as the fastest street car ever built. Certainly no exaggeration, it is brutally fast and combines a powerful exhaust note with stunning performance to provide an exhilarating drive,” says Gord Duff, Car Specialist, RM Auctions. “With only 29 examples of its kind ever built, cars such as this 427 S/C Cobra are seldom offered for public sale. We are truly honored to have been entrusted with its sale in Arizona. A genuine, low-mileage example with a perfect provenance, it is certain to appeal to serious collectors of American racing history.”
CSX 3045 will be joined on RM’s Arizona auction stage by the unique 1963 Shelby ‘Factory Competition-Specification’ Cobra, CSX 2032, built to competition specification for Shelby friend and patron Lance Reventlow, son of Woolworth heir Barbara Hutton, and equipped with various luxury options (est. $750,000-$950,000), and a rare, highly sought after 1965 Shelby Mustang GT350 R, chassis 5R531, one of only 33 production R models (est. $750,000-$950,000).
In addition to shining a spotlight on Shelbys, RM will build on its strong track record for Ferraris in Arizona with the presentation of numerous important examples from the famed Italian marque. Among notable entries secured for the January sale are a Ferrari Classiche certified, Platinum award winning 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB, chassis 08697 (est. $1,200,000-$1,600,000); an original, matching numbers 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4, chassis 10195, complete with Red Book certification and fresh from a comprehensive restoration by Ferrari Classiche in Maranello (est. $1,400,000-$1,750,000); and a matching-numbers 1954 Ferrari 250 Europa Coupe, chassis 0343EU, one of just 16 coupes produced and recipient of a Platinum award at Cavallino (est. $800,000-$1,000,000).
Other early highlights for RM’s Arizona sale include:
– an exquisite 1938 Delahaye 135 MS Coupe, chassis 60158, displayed at the Figoni et Falaschi stand at the 1938 Paris Salon and fitted with a desirable MS racing engine (est. $1,000,000-$1,400,000);
– a 1956 Mercedes-Benz 300SC Cabriolet, chassis 188.013.6500077, one of 49 examples produced and featuring coachwork by Sindelfingen (est. $800,000-$1,000,000);
– an exceptional 1969 Lamborghini Miura P400 ‘SV Specification’, chassis 3952, recently restored by marque experts (est. $700,000-$850,000);
– a 1963 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster, chassis 198.042.10.003003, just three owners from new (est. $700,000-$850,000);
– a Pebble Beach-winning 1934 Cadillac V-16 Convertible Sedan by Fleetwood, chassis 51168, one of only five built and purchased new by Mrs. Edith du Pont Riegel (est. $650,000-$850,000);
– an award-winning 1933 Chrysler Imperial CL Convertible Roadster by LeBaron, chassis 7803578, one of six known to exist (est. $550,000-$750,000); and
– a 1935 Auburn 851SC ‘Boattail’ Speedster, chassis 33811E, ex-Luigi Chinetti and Rosso Bianco Museum and recipient of a recent, extensive ground-up restoration (est. $500,000-$575,000).
RM’s Arizona sale kicks off a spectacular 2013 calendar of events for the international auction house, including its highly anticipated presentation of the Bruce Weiner Collection–the world’s largest collection of the world’s smallest cars–February 15-16 in Madison, Georgia. Other early 2013 events include the company’s renowned Amelia Island sale, scheduled March 9 in conjunction with the celebrated Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, as well as a triumphant return to Cernobbio, Italy, May 25, for its biennial sale during the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este weekend.
For further information on upcoming events or to view a frequently updated list of entries for RM’s Arizona auction, please visit rmauctions.com or call toll free 1 800 211 4371 (or +1 519 352 4575 outside North America).
Event Details – RM Arizona
Sale date: January 18, 2013; auction commences at 11 a.m. MST
Preview dates: January 17, 2013 (from 10 a.m. MST) and January 18, 2013 (from 9 a.m. MST)
Location: Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, 200 East Missouri Ave, Phoenix, Arizona, 85016
Admission: An official auction catalogue is available for $120 US and admits two people to the preview. Admission to the auction is open to registered bidders, consignors, and qualified media only.
For those unable to attend the event in person, RM offers a broad range of remote bidding options, including Internet, absentee, and telephone bidding, and the auction will stream live online at rmauctions.com to provide real-time coverage of the event.